Monday, August 15, 2011

The Night Before the Day the Earth Stood Still

Even though we didn't have any students, today was a busy day at Riverdale High. I had forgotten how tired I usually am when I come home from work, which makes me wonder if I'll be able to keep up with the regular blogging schedule I've been trying to follow. When I feel tired and ready to quit, I just need to remember all of you clamoring for more details about this class. Okay, maybe not "clamoring" . . . demonstrating polite curiosity?

Actually, people have been really great. Over the last few weeks I've had numerous people tell me that they're keeping up with the blog and that they're interested in how the class turns out. Several people have given me helpful feedback and suggestions. I appreciate everyone's support. I'll try not to let you down.

(I'm working on being less negative. "I'll try not to let you down" may not sound very confident, but it's a big improvement from "I am doomed to failure" and another step closer to "I will certainly succeed!")

Tomorrow's the first day of class. The first day is usually devoted to introductions, rules, procedures, and that kind of thing, so there won't be much content. After we've discussed the syllabus I'm going to have them write down their thoughts and feelings about comics. That should give me an idea of where they stand.

What I'm most curious about is the students' reaction to finding out what the class is. They will receive their schedules tomorrow morning and will have no idea what Creative Reading class is about until I tell them. Will they be relieved that I'm going to give them books with pictures? Or will they complain that comics are dumb kid stuff? I'm sure I'll hear both opinions expressed, but I'm really not sure which will be the majority view. Tune in tomorrow to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment