Monday, December 12, 2011

Post-Apocalypse

Last week, in case you missed it, I wrote about the end of Creative Reading class in apocalyptic terms. Now that the apocalypse has come and gone, and the fires are mostly out, let's dig through the rubble and see what we find.

Thanks to semester exams only one of my two Creative Reading classes met today, the one that's later in the day. I decided to show them a relevant movie. I recently realized that, back when we were discussing nonfiction comics, I really should have showed them some of Harvey Pekar's work. To make up for this gap, I showed the class the beginning of the American Splendor movie. Their responses ran the gamut from disinterest to boredom.

"And you're surprised?" my wife said.

It's almost reassuring that, after a semester of this class, I could still be naive enough to think my students would be interested in a movie about a file clerk from Cleveland who writes about his life. Apparently my optimism has not entirely left me yet.

But it's a good movie. And cheap; I got my copy for five bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment