Friday, November 18, 2011

And Sometimes I Read Books With No Pictures


ISMENE:
But oh, Antigone,
Think how much more terrible than these
Our own death would be if we should go against
Creon
And do what he has forbidden! We are only women,
We cannot fight with men, Antigone!
The law is strong, we must give in to the law
In this thing, and in worse. I beg the Dead
To forgive me, but I am helpless: I must yield
To those in authority. And I think it is dangerous
business
To be always meddling.

ANTIGONE:
If that is what you think,
I should not want you, even if you asked to come.
You have made your choice, you can be what you
want to be.
But I will bury him; and if I must die,
I say that this crime is holy: I shall lie down
With him in death, and I shall be as dear
To him as he to me.

From the Prologue to Antigone by Sophocles, as translated by Dudley Fitts & Robert Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment